BloggingRabbi.com


Welcome to Rabbi Manis Friedman's blog. This blog is here to teach, inspire and keep us connected. So, go ahead - browse, read and leave us some feedback. Because - It's Good To Know!


To learn more about Rabbi Friedman, click here.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

On Happiness

Here's a thought that came up in a conversation the other night after our broadcast Bais Chana class:

The simple truths in life are what brings happiness. This means focusing on simple realities: life is good, being a Jew is good, having my family is good, etc. This enables you to be happy. However we need to distingush happiness from contentment. To be content is different from being happy in the following ways. Contentment must be earned - happiness is free. Happiness is related to gratitude - contentment is related to satisfaction. Happiness is the absence of doubt - contentment is the successful resolution of doubts.

Therefore, simple truths will produce happiness, but only achievement will bring contentment.

So I am happy to be what I am, to be included in G-d's vast eternal plan. A part of the chosen people, able to serve Him at any time. But if I don't actually serve Him and accomplish some good in my life I will not be content. Contentment is measured by effort. The harder I try the more content I will be.

What do you think?

Send Page To a Friend

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes- contentment relates to what I sometimes morbidly refer to as "the deathbed question." When I am on my deathbed, what will I be thinking about my accomplishments? i don't just mean worldly accomplishments, but things like, did I overcome anger, did I become a kinder and more patient person, did I draw closer to G d? You make a clear distinction. Thank you.
CBC

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is interesting and helpful to me. I often have a conflict about being happy- when I feel that I am at the right place at the right time and there is no other way, I wonder why I want to leave to be involved in something else. I can think of times when I felt my achievements brought satisfaction and yet I was still unhappy. It's good to know the difference, and we can get a balance.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home