BloggingRabbi.com


Welcome to Rabbi Manis Friedman's blog. This blog is here to teach, inspire and keep us connected. So, go ahead - browse, read and leave us some feedback. Because - It's Good To Know!


To learn more about Rabbi Friedman, click here.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

On Serving

Here's a "class quote" taken from the Bais Chana website's "Essays" page.

Serving

"Sometimes we feel a sense of injustice, that we give to our husband or children more than we get in return.

"In reality, we were created to give, to serve. This is what life is all about from beginning to end. We are here to serve G-d. When you acknowledge that you were created to serve your Maker, serving you spouse and children is part of the bigger picture. But if you’re not serving G-d, why should you serve others?

"We’re confused. “Becoming something” has replaced serving the Creator. “Be all you can be” has replaced G-d.

"Let’s get back on track. Ultimately, the only thing we won’t regret in our lives is the service we did for others. That’s what has real validity.

"So ignore it when your children say you’ve ruined their lives. And the fact that your mother was always there for you will, in the end, outweigh what she did or didn’t do for you. We will always regret some things we did to our kids. But we will never regret that we did for them. Be totally comfortable doing the serving -- not to receive in return, just to serve; that is true humility.
"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if we are meant to serve why does g-d make it extra hard for us to serve him... ??

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I understand your question. How is it hard to serve Him? At any moment of any day you can do any one of hundreds of mitzvahs... Please explain.
Have a good Shabbos.

RMF

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi rabbi gut voch...
hows florida? i really miss ocala that week was one of the best weeks of my life..
wat i mean is if god wants us to serve him right? why does he make it hard for us? he puts challeges in our everyday lives and expects us to serve him...?? do you understand wat im trying to say??

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Esther,
In my experience, if things were easy, then we would not really learn from them. Through experience, observations, and learning can we truly serve others.

I have to remind myself of this when I start to feel that others are taking advantage of me or when I start to feel sad that my basic needs are not being thought of by others that I am serving.

After all, we are human and I feel that we bounce back and forth from "other" to "I".

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... i see wat your saying...but like i said everything is easier said then done wat if someone says i don't want to serve him?
I was talking to this lady (im 18)
she must have been like 47 anyway we were just having a random conversation and she's like i dont belive in covering my hair..? so i said ok..Then she says why shoudl i do anytihng for god if he is so mean to good ppl he killed my best friend last week and you want me to serve him and do wat he want..? so i said ye ofcors why else r u here?
she was ready to blow up at me .
But u and i know that yes that is our purpose but how do you get others to listen to you and believe in that one god? it has to come from "inside" if they r not intreated then wat??

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home